The Market at Pepper Place | Saturday Farmers Market
Birmingham, the second largest and most populous city in Alabama, is known for its vibrant food scene, artistic attractions, and industrial heritage. The Market at Pepper Place is one of the brightest spotlights in Downtown Birmingham food’s setting.
About the market
Although there are numerous Farmer’s Markets in Birmingham, The Market at Pepper Place, which is held on Saturday mornings, is the most well-known and popular with visitors. The purpose of the market is to connect Alabama’s finest farmers with consumers, making fresh, wholesome food available to Birmingham’s neighbors while creating a vibrant local economy and a community gathering place. Pepper Place is a brick industrial building that once housed the Dr. Pepper soda bottling plant. The former factory site has been transformed into a hip development of creative businesses, shops, and restaurants, as well as the Saturday Market.
The Market at Pepper Place is a certified farmer’s market that has been in operation since May 2000. It is the largest producer’s farmers market in the state of Alabama, with over 200,000 visitors annually.
The farmers market currently operates from mid-April to mid-December and offers over 100 stalls selling farm produce, crafts, and artisan food from small Alabama producers. The market is divided into two parts; the outside market and the curbside pickup. The outside market has three areas of tents with farmers, makers, and food vendors while you have to order online and come pick up your produce for curbside pickup.
Some activities you can engage in at the market include;
– Local live music featured on multiple music stages
– Live cooking demonstrations during the summer months
– Food from vendors like The Heavenly Donut Truck, Pie Lab, Sweet Tea Tent, After Midnight Salsa, and Bread Works.
– Shop for clothes and accessories from tents like Kate Morris Jewelry, Meme’s Crochet Creations, Nineteen Eighteen Design Company, and Bulox Leather
– Shop for art and craft from Ike & Potter, Janna Phillips ArtStately Made, Sweet Woodworks, and Toby Klein Art
– Dog watching
– Children’s activities and other special events.
Also, a zyp bike station is very close to the market and on-street parking is free. Visit the market to see what’s fresh and in season and grab a bite from one of the many food vendors offering food to be taken away.
The market is located at 2829 2nd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233, United States. The market takes place every Saturday from 7 am till noon, rain or shine, year-round.